By: Amy at University Language On: January 26, 2012 In: International Students, Translation Comments: 0

If you are an international student applying to a college in the United States, you will need diplomas, recommendations, transcripts and other academic documents translated into English.

Providing these documents is one of the most important parts of your college application, and you want to make sure it’s done right.

Diploma translation is a job you should trust to a professional translator.

Accurate translation isn’t simply the rendering of words from one language into another — it’s a specialized skill. Even with a straightforward document such as a diploma, good translation takes expertise.

Here’s why a professional translation of your diploma, transcripts and other academic documents is best (if not absolutely required):

1. Your college requires a certified translation of your diploma.

Not only will colleges appreciate the care and effort of a well-prepared application, they will most likely require your diploma translation to be a professional one. Many US colleges and universities will only consider certified translations of diplomas. Evaluation agencies often require certification, as well.

Certification creates a legal record of a document. But remember that different organizations have different requirements for certification. Choose a professional translation agency like University Language that follows that strictest standards of certification for your diploma and other academic documents.

A certified translation may also be useful in the future if you decide to apply to graduate schools. Certain jobs might need a record of your graduation as well.

2. Professional translators know specialized vocabulary.

Professional translators understand academic terms and can easily relay the language in a diploma or a transcript. They have experience reading seals, stamps and other technical aspects of diplomas.

Academic documents also contain many significant details, and a reliable translation pays attention to them all.
Diploma translation is best performed by an experienced linguist. A professional can catch the nuances of certain words and phrases and make sure the certified translation makes sense.

This way, admissions officers won’t have to struggle with language interpretation. When your diploma is easy to read, the focus will just be on you and your accomplishments — and not on dissecting a subpar translation.

Translators can also meet specific requests a college or evaluation agency might have, such as keeping the translation in the same format as the original document. Check with the colleges where you are applying about their requirements for diploma translation.

3. Professional translators are neutral.

The person translating the important information in your diplomas and transcripts needs not only expertise, but also neutrality. You can feel confident sending personal documents to a professional translation agency. As a neutral party, the translator will be concerned only with the accuracy of the certified translation.

Perhaps you are comfortable in both English and the language your documents are in, or you have a friend or family member who is bilingual. Even if this is the case, you (as well as colleges and other organizations) will want a neutral translator who has experience with diploma translations and their unique vocabulary.

A professional translation agency like University Language Services can provide you with an accurate diploma translation that meets your college application deadline.

Contact us today to learn more about our translation services. Call 1-800-419-4601 or simply fill out our free quote form.

Spread the love
0 0 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments