By: Autumn at University Language On: February 17, 2016 In: International Students, Internships Comments: 0

International students may have limited options for jobs in the US, but they do qualify for lots of summer internships!

If you’re studying in the US and will be here year round, take a look at some of the summer internships available to you, as well as how you can get started applying.

Where to Find Summer Internships

There are numerous companies that help international students look for summer internships in the US. Two helpful and popular ones are International Internships, LLC and Global Experiences. Such companies offer listings of internships that international students can apply for, along with tips on how to apply.

Another option is Collabriv, which is great for those interested in working on projects involving marketing, business development, graphic design, web design, or communications in California’s Bay Area.

Other companies that have been known to offer summer internships for international students include Google, Facebook, Apple, Microsoft, Intel, Twitter, Cisco, IBM, and LinkedIn, to name a few.

Essentially, any company that is looking for talented students to hire – and is willing to deal with any restrictions of your visa – is a good place to start when you’re looking for a summer internship.

This tends to describe large companies with an international presence, but some startups are willing to take on interns from different countries, too. It never hurts to ask, especially if it’s a company you are extremely passionate about.

Know Your Visa Restrictions

If you’re interested in these or other summer internships for international students, you should do some research before you apply. Your first stop should be the international student office at your school.

That’s where you can find out if your student visa will allow you to take on a summer internship as an international student. For example, if you’re a student with an F-1 visa, you can become an unpaid intern 9 months after you come to the US.

And if you are able to qualify for Curricular Practical Training, or CPT, you can get a paid internship, as long as it relates to your college major.

If you have a J-1 visa as an international student, you can complete as many as 18 months of training through an internship. It just needs to be related to your major.

Of course, regulations do change over time, which is why you should consult with your school’s international student office before you try to find a summer internship in the US.

Get Started Today!

US students are not the only people who can enjoy some job training before graduating from college.

If you’re an international student hoping to learn more about your future career by getting some experience now, it’s time to start applying for summer internships for which you qualify.

The application process might be slightly different than what you’re use to in your home country. For example, in the US most companies expect you to submit a resume, not a CV. Make sure you know the difference between the two and submit the correct one for you desired internship.

There’s also bound to be an interview portion. It’s a good idea to look up the company ahead of time and come up with a few questions to ask pertaining to the company and your role.

Your college no doubt has a career center to help you out, too. They’ll be able to provide you with feedback on your resume as well as helpful tips about acing that interview.

So what are you waiting for? Get started on your summer internship search today!

How ULS Can Help

If you’re an international student applying to jobs in the US, ULS can help with all your translation needs. We provide professional, certified translation services of CVs and cover letters in more than 200 languages.

Contact us today to learn more about our translation services. Call 1-800-419-4601 or simply fill out our free quote form.

Spread the love

Leave reply:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *