Spring 2012 Study Abroad Scholarship Contest
Every year that University Language Services has held a scholarship photo contest for students who have studied abroad, we have received entries with scenes from around the world. This contest was no exception.
This year we asked college students who were currently studying abroad, had studied abroad in the past or had chosen a study abroad program that they would soon be embarking on, to:
Submit a photo you’ve taken, along with a description of no more than 200 words on why that photo makes you glad you decided to study abroad.
Ava Macchiaverna, a member of the class of 2013 at James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Va., won the grand prize $500 scholarship for her photo of a friend jumping from a gondola high above a lake in the Swiss Alps.
“I could have come up with 1,000 excuses not to study abroad,” she wrote in her winning entry. “I could have come up with 1,000 excuses not to jump out of that gondola that day, but I didn’t. I flew. I was liberated and free. I pushed myself to heights. Studying abroad proved to me that until you spread your wings, you will never know how far you can fly.”
Many congrats to Ava and to all of our winners!
Grand Prize Winner of a $500 Scholarship:
- Ava Macchiaverna, James Madison University class of 2013, studied abroad in Salamanca, Spain
Second Place Winner of a $100 Scholarship:
- Kotchaphorn Mangkalaphiban, Wilson College class of 2015, studied abroad in the US
Third Place Winner of a $100 Scholarship:
- Jenna Lanzaro, The College of New Jersey class of 2013, studied abroad in Italy
Twelve Photos Were Awarded Honorable Mention:
ULS also awarded 12 honorable mentions to the following entrants:
- Kristen Azzam, class of 2013 at Johns Hopkins University
- Amber Abuga, class of 2015 at Princeton University
- Elizabeth Pipal, class of 2015 at the Harvard University Graduate School of Design
- Katelyn Block, class of 2013 at the University of Denver
- Lindsey Miller, class of 2012 at the University of Wyoming
- Monica Bhatia, class of 2013 at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Yewande Gilbert, class of 2013 at DePaul University
- Alaina Daly, class of 2015 at Johnson & Wales University in Charlotte, North Carolina
- Kylienne Clark, class of 2014 at Ohio State University
- Katie Vaky, class of 2014 at DePauw University
- Misha Yurchenko, class of 2013 at the University of Texas
- Carrie Gonzalez, class of 2015 at the University of Puget Sound