ULS Scholarship Contest
Official Rules and Regulations
1. All entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. (EST) on Apr. 3, 2013.
2. Completely fill out all required data fields on the registration form, including the photo and description portion, and submit the form.
The photo and description portion of the registration form must consist of one (1) original photograph that you believe encapsulates why you are glad that you decided to study abroad, along with an accompanying description of no more than 200 words (in English) describing the way in which the photo illustrates your happiness with the decision.
Each entry must contain solely the entrant’s original ideas and language. Photographs must be submitted by the original photographer. Do not submit a photo taken by someone other than yourself. You must be the sole owner of the copyright of any image submitted. Your submission of the photo and entry form is your guarantee that you are the author and copyright holder of the photo and description. Please submit only one entry per person. Entries that are not the original work of the entrant, are illegible or incomplete will not be accepted.
Photos must be appropriate for posting on University Language Services’ website. Obscene, inappropriate or otherwise questionable content will not be considered. University Language Services retains sole discretion as to what constitutes inappropriate content. Photos, regardless of the medium, will not be returned. Please do not send your only copy of a photo.
University Language Services is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunctions that occur on account of entering this contest. If, for any reason, the contest is not capable of running as planned, University Language Services reserves the right in their sole and unequivocal discretion to cancel, terminate, modify, delay or suspend the contest. In the event of a dispute over who submitted a winning entry, the holder of the winning email account will be declared the winner. All entries become the property of University Language Services.
3. Digital images should be submitted using the online entry form along with their description. Images should be formatted to 72 dpi, no smaller than 450 by 338 pixels. Images should be submitted in JPG or TIFF format. File sizes must be less than 1MB per image. No watermarks, signatures, or copyright notices may be added to images. Digital images will not be returned.
Prints must fit in an envelope without being folded. Do not send negatives. Attach a label to the back of the print with your name and address. Do not write on the photograph itself. Prints will not be returned.
Mail print along with entry form and description to:
University Language Services, Inc.
15 Maiden Lane
New York, NY 10038-4003
4. Winner Selection: The contest will be split into 5 rounds during which students can submit their photos. After each round of the contest, University Language will post the 8 best submissions on its website. Visitors to the University Language website can vote for their favorite photo during the specified days and times. The 3 photos with the most votes will be the finalists for that round.
Starting on or about Apr. 23, 2013, a panel of judges will judge all eligible entries based on effectiveness in answering the contest question, creativity, style, technique, photographic quality, and visual interest of the photograph and the accuracy, creativity, style, grammar, and persuasiveness of the description in order to determine a winner. The Grand Prize Winner and two Runner-Up Winners will be announced on or about May 6, 2013.
5. Prizing: Grand Prize – One (1) Grand Prize Winner will be awarded a $500 scholarship. Additionally, two (2) Runner-Up Prizes consisting of $100 each and subject to the same terms and conditions of the Grand Prize may be awarded to two (2) Runner-Up Winners. The receipt of a Grand Prize by Grand Prize Winner and the receipt of a Runner-Up Prize by a Runner-Up Winner is subject to the following conditions: (a) Grand Prize Winner and Runner-Up Winners must sign all required legal documents provided by University Language Services, (b) the money awarded must be applied to cover tuition and school fees, and (c) under no circumstances should monies awarded be used as spending money.
6. Eligibility: Contest is open to students currently enrolled in an accredited college or university in the country in which they reside. Eligible students must have already completed a term or year abroad, be in the process of doing so, or have submitted an application to do so.VOID WHEREVER PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. Previous winners of University Language Services scholarships and employees of University Language Services and its affiliates are not eligible. By participating in this contest, entrants agree to be bound by these official rules and by the decisions of University Language Services whose decisions are final in all matters relating to this contest.
7. All interpretations of the rules and decisions by University Language Services are final. University Language Services reserves the right, in their sole and unequivocal discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds or believes to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the website; to be acting in violation of the official rules; or to be acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person.
8. Arrangements for the fulfillment of the Grand Prize and Runner-Up Prizes will be made by University Language Services. University Language Services reserves the right in its sole discretion to substitute the Grand Prize or Runner-Up Prizes, for any reason that University Language Services deems necessary. All prizes are non-transferable. Upon receipt of any part of the prize, prize recipients are required to comply with any and all applicable federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations. All expenses, including taxes, on receipt and use of prizes are the sole responsibility of the winner.
9. Contestants hereby agree to submit their entries under the following terms and conditions: (i) that University Language Services may use any ideas, concepts, material, in whole or in part, contained in an entry; (ii) that all materials, including the essay and photograph, submitted become the property of University Language Services and will not be returned; (iii) that all materials submitted are free from any lien or claim by anyone; (iv) Entrants have obtained all rights, permissions and licenses necessary to use the entries for any purpose; (v) that no entry or any part thereof infringes any trademark or copyright or otherwise violates anyone’s right of privacy or publicity; and (vi) Entrants indemnify and hold harmless University Language Services from any claims, suits, losses, damages and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) that arise from any breach of the following conditions. They further agree, if chosen as Grand Prize Winner or Runner-Up Winner, to assign all right, title and interest in all material and agree to sign such documentation as is necessary to formalize this assignment.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, entrants agree that their entry may be used by University Language Services in whole or in part for any purpose whatsoever without compensation to non-prize winner entrants or without additional compensation to the winning entrants.
10. No purchase is necessary to enter.