Easy & Cheap College Meals, Part 2
Students are always on the look out for great easy and cheap college meal ideas.
When you move into your college dorm, you’re suddenly deprived of many things you took for granted when you lived at home, including a fully stocked fridge (that miraculously refilled itself weekly), cooking appliances, and of course — mom’s cooking!
Are you hungry for more easy and cheap college meal recipes? Here’s part two of our list of favorites:
Do you remember the Eggo commercials from when you were a kid? Well, they’re still around, and they still make for a great cheap college meal. Buy some maple syrup, bananas (if you’re into that kind of thing) and a box of these frozen waffles — usually around $3 — and have this delicious cheap college meal in the morning (or whenever the breakfast-food mood strikes you!).
2. Homemade French Toast
Craving something warm and delicious in the morning? Follow this easy french toast recipe and save some money!
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 slices bread
- Beat together egg, milk, cinnamon, vanilla and salt. Heat a lightly oiled skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- Soak bread slices in egg mixture for 20 second on each side, or until thoroughly coated.
- Cook bread until both sides are lightly browned and crisp. Serve hot.
Nothing in your college meal plan strike your fancy? Stir fry is both a healthy and cheap college meal idea — and a great international food. And it’s easy to make! Just add a few of your favorite veggies to a skillet or wok and heat them up. Once they brown, add whatever diced meat or tofu you’d like and pour in some soy sauce and/or chicken stock and corn starch. Heat until sauce thickens and serve over rice or noodles.
4. Deli-Style Sandwiches
Sometimes, a great sandwich is all it takes to have a satisfying and cheap college meal. Buy some delicious bread of your choice (whole wheat if you’re trying to be healthy!), some cold cuts, veggies (like tomatos, cucumbers, pickles or onions), and a condiment (like mustard or horseradish) you love.
Believe it or not, you can really get creative! Experiment with different combinations of meats and vegetables — you never have to have the same sandwich twice!
Few things are cheaper than tortillas, beans, rice and cheese. Add salsa, chicken or beef and any other Mexican staple you can get your hands on for a delicious, hearty and cheap college meal!
6. Rice Krispies Treats
Feeling homesick? Not only is this a cheap after-dinner treat, it also has the nostalgic capability of momentarily bringing you back home. It’s easy! Here’s how to make them:
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 package (10 oz., about 40) regular marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Add Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated.
- Using buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cool. Cut into 2-inch squares. Best if served the same day.
In microwave-safe bowl heat butter and marshmallows on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Follow steps 2 and 3 above.
You hungry yet? Get to cooking! Easy and cheap college meals can be just as delicious as mom’s home cooking.