Congrats to the Fall ’11 Scholarship Winners!
By Diane at University Language
Posted on Monday, November 7, 2011
Freshmen. Fountains. Football stadiums.
Statues. Staircases. Skylines.
For University Language Services’ latest scholarship contest, we asked high school students to take a photo during a college visit and describe in no more than 200 words how that photo represents college to them.
Hundreds of high schoolers from across the US submitted entries, and our judges saw a little bit of everything.
Books. Bicycles. Bell towers.
Dorms. Diplomas. Dining halls.
You, our readers, voted on your favorites of the top photos during each of seven rounds. From there, our judges chose their three favorites to win college scholarships: $500 to the grand prize winner and $100 to both the second and third place winners.
Read the winners’ descriptions of their photos by clicking on their names below.
Grand prize winner Hadley Swartz, a senior at The Woodlands High School in The Woodlands, Texas, for a photo and description of her family walking on a path at St. Mary’s College of Maryland, in St. Mary’s City:
Second place winner Marisa Draper, a senior at Ocean Lakes High School, Virginia Beach, Va., for a photo of the University of Virginia, Charlottesville:
Third place winner Jordan Capizola, a senior at American Heritage School, Delray Beach, Fl., for a photo of Georgetown University, Washington D.C.:
Honorable mentions were awarded to:
- Anna Griffin, of Mobile, Ala.; photo of the University of Michigan
- Ellen Heuer, of Annapolis, Md.; photo of the University of Rochester
- Rebecca Johnson, of Langhorne, Penn.; photo of Ursinus College
- Nora Krupitsky, of Livingston, N.J.; photo of Parsons The New School for Design
- Tochukwu Ndukwe, of Detroit, Mich.; photo of Michigan State University
- Zeynep Sheikh, of Bellaire, Texas; photo of Tulane University
- Andrew Tarutani, of Wooster, Ohio; photo of the University of Notre Dame
- Logan Walther, of Madisonville, La.; photo of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette
- Janelle Wellons, of Logan Township, N.J.; photo of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Tyler Wells, of Bartlett, Ill.; photo of the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
- Xue Zhan, of Mokena, Ill.; photo of the University of California, Berkeley
Missed out on this scholarship contest?
Don’t worry — a new scholarship competition will be announced in the coming weeks. Remember to check our site regularly, and follow us on Facebook and Twitter to be among the first to know how you could win a ULS scholarship!